Friday, August 14, 2009

Believe. Follow. Serve.

"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galations 1:10, ESV

I was thinking about this while Pastor Seth was preaching on Sunday. (Again, probably not what he preached on, but I'm sure it was related!) I "found" this verse a while ago, and have been thinking on it for months. Unfortunately, it relates to a lot of things in my life, and one thing in particular. I've been forming this post in my head for a while, it seems to be one of those things that just needs to get out of me in some form.

While I was in bible school, God showed me something about spiritual gifts, and mine in particular. It remains one of two times I've heard God speak to me with such clarity that I had no doubt of it's source. I shared with one of my teachers this great revelation, and was immediately shot down and told that it was probably not God talking to me, and that I should think and pray for a long time before sharing with anyone else. Knowing without a doubt that I had heard from God, but caring far too much about how others thought of me, I did keep it to myself. I've never told another soul on this earth, and eventually managed to keep it from popping into my mind every day.

As soon as I read this verse, however, it popped back into my head with the same clarity that it did ten years ago. Even though I've probably read that verse a hundred times since then, God picked a time to show me something through it. And what an amazing thing to know that God doesn't forget what He told you, even if you've tried your best to forget. So even though I still haven't told anyone what God showed me, I'm not in the place where I'm ready to do so, I am ready to start pursuing God in the way he deserves to be pursued. And like my mother often says, if we truly believe God, why don't we act like we believe everything He says is true?

So Believe. (with a capital "B") Then follow what He says. Then you will have the privilege of being called His servant.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I love, love, LOVE this post, Julie! You have put down the words that have been rolling around in my heart lately and it is SO COOL that we're on the same page. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you didn't hear from God, because when you've heard, you KNOW you've heard. No one else can judge that. Go for it, Jule - believe, follow and serve. God's waiting for you to fulfill your destiny. I love you, precious daughter!

Carrie said...

Jules, I agree with your mom. She's wise. :-) I always have this view of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade where he has to take the step of faith and just step off into nothing. Cheesy as it is, that's how we act in faith. And as awesome as God is, the pathway is right there under our feet as soon as we make a move in faith.

Julie Fennell said...

LOL. I was talking about that part of Indy at homegroup or something not so long ago...I think of that all the time, too.